To encourage energy savings and spur involvement the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power introduced – in 2014 – the CLIP incentive program. This program replaced the Commercial Lighting Efficiency Offer (CLEO) that was in place during previous years.
The Commercial/Industrial Lighting Incentive Program (CLIP) is a program that provides rebates for commercial businesses that install newly purchased energy-saving lighting and controls. The CLIP program uses calculated savings so you can customize your lighting and energy improvements to make sure your business gets the most energy savings possible and receiving better incentive payments.
One big reason the LADWP CLIP PROGRAM is being offered is due to the many technological advances in lamp, ballast and lighting controls. The hope is that LADWP rebate programs such as CLIP will encourage investment in the many new, cleaner energy products that will reduce your energy costs.
What Conditions Must Be Met For My Retrofit Lighting Project?
- Your business must provide a detailed business plan that lays out the scope of work for your lighting retrofit plan.
- Each CLIP applicant must have a non-residential account in good standing with the LADWP.
- Your retrofit lighting project must be on track to save a minimum of 10 percent.
- The total of your incentive payments may not exceed 75 percent of the entire lighting retrofit project.
- Your equipment must qualify and receive approval from the LADWP before the project begins.
- You must provide a project invoice with an itemized description of all lighting materials that have been installed.
- Any project not done within 120 days after LADWP approval may be subject to cancellation with reserved rebates will be returned to the fund.
What Energy Saving Equipment is Included?
- LED interior ceiling-mounted, downlight, and highbay fixtures
- Exterior LED pole-mounted and wallpack fixtures
- LED screw-in lamps
- Occupancy sensors and daylight controls
- New induction lamps and fixtures
- High-performance reduced-wattage fluorescent lamps and ballasts
- And Much More!
How Do Incentives Work?
- CLIP incentives are figured through calculated energy savings for each project.
- Rates range from $.05 to $.15 per kilowatt hour.
- Incentives are capped at 75 percent of the total project cost.
Incentive Categories and Rates
- Lighting fixture or replacement or retrofit – $0.15/kWh
- Sensor-based controls – $0.10/kWh
- Lamp-only retrofits – $0.05/kWh
How Do I Apply For CLIP?
- Go to ladwp.com/CLIP and download (or request) the application. You may request the application by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (213) 367-4215.
- Fill out the forms and email them to email@example.com
- Or you may send the application through the mail to the address provided on the application.
What Happen After I Apply?
- After submitting the required documents, you must wait for approval from LADWP prior to starting your project.
- You must then notify LADWP when the project is complete.
- When you receive final approval from LADWP, your rebate check will arrive by mail.
The CLIP program is subject to change or be terminated without notice.